Saturday, October 07, 2006

she laughed at me!




Being dreadfully ill didn't seem to keep me from the craft store yesterday. Note: metal cable needles are USELESS! Maybe I'm being harsh- let me amend that. Metal cable needles are only useless if you want them to stay in your yarn while you're using them.

I just "happened" to have my gauge ruler on me, so I found the dowels, and proceeded to embarrass my brother (who was kind enough to chauffeur me around). I found size 4 and I was on my way, feeling quite clever that I'd just saved $8. I felt even more clever when the woman asked what I was making, and I exclaimed (beaming though my imploding head and queasy stomach) "knitting needles!" She. Laughed. "That's a lot of work, just for knitting needles, don'tchathink?"

"No." I replied, sourly.

Clearly, not a knitter.

I've finished my first needle (albeit a cable needle), and it's fabulous. It actually took me longer to hunt for the sand paper than it did to make the needle. I'll spare you the pictures, as it looks like every other wooden cable needle- but trust me, it's fabulous. I have big plans for those dowels. BIG.


In other news, this recipe (and website) is gorgeous- even though I (queen of garlic) forgot the garlic: Pasta With Squash

I added a little brown sugar (maybe 2T) for a double batch (don't make a double batch- it says 2-3, but it's lying. We fed 4 without making a dent). I feel like squash needs sweetening- with orange juice or sugar.

4 comments:

jane said...

bah to she. who. laughs. hurrah on your first needle! perhaps a bit o' brown sugar or a smidge of molasses for the squash?

jenna said...

Three cheers for DIY knitting needles! Let us know what you wind up using for the ends. I tried Fimo once and it didn't work that well for me. :(

bjl said...

the fimo didn't work? that's disappointing! i guess i'll try the wooden beads. needle making party?

Kelly Kester said...

Can you tell Paul that he is my hero and I'm officially donating my first-born child to him? He saved my blog.